Monday 8 July 2013

Planting broad beans

The first lot of broad beans refused to germinate, so unperterbed, (I love them skinned and either covered in garlic butter with loads of herbs, or scattered in a large salad with lots of home-made salad dressing), I stuffed some more seeds in pots in the greenhouse and thankfully this time they germinated and grew well.  So I know I am a little late sowing them outside, but better late than never.

It was with great interest that I read the article - 'notes from the potting shed', in the July 2013 edition of Grow It Magazine, about puddling in your plants when planting out from pots.  So I thought I'd give it a go.  The basis of the article was getting much needed water to the plant when it is first planted out, a crucial stage of the plant's life.

Here are my efforts: -

First dig your hole

Then fill it full of water

Pop in the plant, having got it out of the pot before pouring in the water, just in case it all disappears whilst you are fiddling around with the pot

Then quickly back fill the soil around it, so that as the water drains away it takes the soil down with it.

 Work in progress

The finished line of fifteen plants

I'm  looking forward to seeing how these do, will monitor them and let you know.  It was amazing to watch the water suck down the soil, but the long traditional urge of firming was strong and hard not to do - I managed it with most, but my automatic brain kicked in before I had chance to stop it and my hands were round the base of the plant compressing the soil - old habits and all that!  

Have you ever tried something new like this and been impressed by the results, so much so that it is now part of your regular gardening routine?  I'd be interested to know.

Stats today -

Eggs produced = 8

Sales -
1 & 1/2 dozen eggs £3.00 (overpaid by £0.30)

Expenses -
Nil

No comments:

Post a Comment