Saturday 24 August 2013

Pizza anyone?

We like nothing better in this house than a home-made pizza, they are a firm favourite and get requested often.

Back in June, we were on our way to the British Museum for the day to see the Pompeii and Herculaneum exhibition, (bear with me - you'll get the gist in a minute!), and Michael always insists on getting his Saturday morning Times newspaper to read on the train.  I nabbed the middle section where the foodie bit is and lo and behold that week's special was pizza's; I read on with interest.  It wasn't the actual ingredients that intrigued me, it was the way they were cooking it - on the hob, then under the grill - I'll explain as we go.

Remember that bread recipe I made a couple of weeks ago, well I use the same mix to make the pizza bases.  One 300g mix will make four pizzas, plus I then use the tomato sauce recipe to put straight on the base.

It's best to have all your pizza toppings ready to go, ie. cut up, sliced etc, before you start cooking.

Heat a large non stick frying pan on the hob, with a tiny splash of olive oil in the bottom until really hot, turn on the grill too.
Cut the dough into four pieces and roll out into rounds about 5mm thick.


Place a pizza base in the bottom of the hot pan.  Keep checking the bottom of it by lifting up the edge, you don't want it to burn.
Spread your tomato sauce over the base, then add your toppings.  A note on adding the mozzarella - rip it into small pieces rather than slicing it, it will cook quicker.

Michael's one with Chorizo and chillies

Once the base is cooked, swiftly place under the grill, under the cheese is bubbling and the edges are brown and crispy.

Michael's one cooked

My one cooked - with proscuitto and basil

Eat straight away.

They taste delicious and are so quick and easy to make, the only down side to them is, that I can cook only one at a time as I only have one large frying pan, so Michael has usually eaten his by the time I put mine on the plate!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment