Thursday 29 August 2013

More Great British Bake off inspiration

I seem to be on a bread making splurge at the moment - don't really know why, unless it has something to do with that 'stuff' they sell in the supermarkets labelled bread.  Now we always have some 'shop bought' bread in the freezer, just in case we run out, but being of the persuasion to not trusting what it says on the sides of packets, (what is a 'e' number actually made of, likewise monosodium glutamate, and who would actually want to eat the stuff anyway), I try and make all my own bread and associated bread products.

As I was hunting in the cupboard yesterday for some more flour, I came across this recipe on the side of a flour bag - Tesco Strong Stoneground Wholemeal flour, so I thought I'd give it a go -

Seedy Cranberry loaf

Ingredients:-
500g Strong wholemeal flour
25g Butter
1/2 tsp Salt
1 Sachet (7g) fast action yeast - I used one teaspoon
330ml Warm water
25g Sunflower seeds - I left out as I didn't have any
25g Poppy seeds
60g Dried cranberries
2 tbsp Honey
Grated rind from one orange - I left out as I didn't have one

Oven to 230 Deg C / 440 Deg F / Gas mark 8

Soak cranberries in water for 30 minutes, then drain
Mix together flour and salt, then rub in the butter and stir in the yeast
Stir in the seeds, cranberries, honey and orange rind
Pour in the water and mix into a dough by hand
Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes - after this I put it in the fridge overnight to rise.
Taking it out the following day, I knocked the dough back and shaped it into a round loaf shape and left to rise again for a couple of hours in a warm place.
Placed in oven for 30 minutes approx, until sounded hollow underneath, then left to cool on a wire rack

Just taken it out and it tastes and smells divine, no doubt once hubby gets home, it will get devoured in no time.

Try it and let me know if you like it or not



Stats today -

Eggs produced = 11

Sales -
1 & 1/2 dozen eggs £2.80
2 x Cucumbers £1.20
2 x 500g Tomatoes £2.00

Expenses -
Nil

No comments:

Post a Comment