Tuesday 15 October 2013

Smallholding update

Just thought I'd update you with what's been going on recently.

Well it doesn't seemed to have stopped raining here on and off for more than a week now.  What was a lovely area for the pigs now seems to have turned into a mud bath, as you can see -



Now we are on light sandy soil here, and although marshland, I don't think I've ever seen it this wet.  Am feeling quite sorry for our two little pigs, but they have got a new straw bed to keep them warm -


and yes, that is the two of them in the background, not a picture!  It's their window, which I really should see if I can close now to keep out even more of the wet stuff we are due over the next few days.

I have been harvesting onions and shallots, both of which have given us a fabulous harvest this year.




But as I rather left the veg patch to its own devices somewhat during the hot weather - I don't do hot weather, I have a large job on my hands harvesting them -


Ooops!  But I'm getting there.  And I suppose am killing two birds with one stone in a way - weeding and harvesting.  Oh well, at least I'm honest about my gardening techniques - or lack of sometimes!

On the plus side, my carnations in the greenhouse are absolutely fabulous as you can see, the perfume in there is just divine -


But more on the carnations at a later date - watch this space, keeping it under my hat for the time being.

Stats today - 

Eggs produced = 6

Sales -
1 dozen eggs £1.80
2 x 1Kg bags of Bramley apples
1 x large Butternut squash £1.50

Expenses -
Nil

No comments:

Post a Comment